Where is xfce4-screensaver started

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Mar 9 09:49:28 CET 2022

Jarno Suni <sunijarno at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 11:41 PM Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I simply turn all screensavers off and use the power manager to turn
> > the screen off after some minutes of idleness.  I really see no point
> > in screensavers nowadays, just a waste of power.
>
> Screensavers can lock screen after pre-defined idle time. IIRC you can
> set xfce4-screensaver to do some display power management.
> light-locker can also do something like that.

Yes, they *can* do power management but why bother since there's a
dedicated panel app for doing it which works very reliably in my
experience (and which is needed for other functions anyway).

Screen locking is really only security by obscurity (well, not quite
but pretty close).  Also, nowadays, systems boot so quickly I see
little point in locking/sleeping/snoozing, you may as well turn off
and save power.

--
Chris Green
ยท