Where is xfce4-screensaver started

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 22:15:14 CET 2022

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 11:40 AM Jarno Suni <sunijarno at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 7:46 PM MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I had a problem with xfce4-screensaver, I took it out of the
> > startup apps list, killed all running components and uninstalled  the
> > app.
>
> Well, that will definitely stop xfce4-screensaver from running, but I
> was not asking that.

Understood.  I was citing what I did when I could use xscreensaver as
an example of how to prevent the xfce4-screensaver from running.

> > That was back when xscreensaver worked really well for me.  This is no
> > longer true. I now use it and don't have any problems with it.  You
> > may have to coordiante the settings in xfce4-screensaver and the power
> > manager so the screen behaves the way you expect it to.
>
> Interesting. What kind of issues you have with xsceensaver and which
> version of it?

Not sure what the xscreensaver version was, and it was not the latest
and greatest, but after I had to install Xubuntu 21.10 so I could run
in on newer hardware than 20.04 could handle, I noticed that
xscreensaver would occasionally just die (despite a crontab-run script
to check and restart it hourly).

That seemed to improve when I replaced the driver on my video card,
but after that, xscreensaver would activate as usual, display a slide
in the slideshow for about 5 seconds and then it faded to sold gray
until the next one came up.  I gave up on it and went back to
xfce4-screensaver.  This works beautifully, and I don't need any
crontab entries to restart it (that I have seen so far). My only
remaining issue is that there are no controls in xfce4-screensaver
that I can see to select a time for each slide to display.  It seems
to be hardwired at 10 seconds, and I'd prefer more like 30 (with a
control to let me choose the display time). I posted about this in the
Xubuntu email list, no replies yet.

HTH.

Mark