Where is xfce4-screensaver started

Jarno Suni sunijarno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 20:37:55 CET 2022

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 7:46 PM MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I had a problem with xfce4-screensaver, I took it out of the
> startup apps list, killed all running components and uninstalled  the
> app.

Well, that will definitely stop xfce4-screensaver from running, but I
was not asking that.

> That was back when xscreensaver worked really well for me.  This is no
> longer true. I now use it and don't have any problems with it.  You
> may have to coordiante the settings in xfce4-screensaver and the power
> manager so the screen behaves the way you expect it to.

Interesting. What kind of issues you have with xsceensaver and which
version of it?
I read that some later versions of xscreensaver will not start by some
autostart script, if there are other screensavers installed:
https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/-/issues/115#note_43144
That has also some systemd integration, which might lock with suspend
regardless of Xfce settings, but I have not tested that.
It also has new ways of being inhibited; regarding issues are told in
the header comments of
https://github.com/Zygo/xscreensaver/blob/master/driver/xscreensaver-systemd.c

I have not used latest versions of either screensaver. Version 0.1.10
of xfce4-screensaver has some issues.