cloning xfce config?

Cottrell, Allin cottrell at wfu.edu
Fri Aug 19 23:42:01 CEST 2022

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 1:51 PM Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Ulli Horlacher
> <framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> >
> > I have a new install of Mint 21 with Xfce (4.16).
> > Everything looks good.
> > Then I copied this installation to a USB disk with linuxclone(*).
> > On a second PC I can boot with this USB disk.
> >
> > BUT my default user "tux" has now a very different desktop look:
> > It has "dark mode", two panels (top and bottom), different background
> > image, etc.
>
> My guess is that the defaults on your USB disk are somehow being
> loaded, and then your configuration is loaded on top of that. I don't
> know how that could happen.

I experienced something similar recently, transitioning from an old
laptop to a new one, in my case running Xfce on Arch Linux.

I first installed Linux from an Arch USB image, then untarred an
archive of my old home directory over the newly created one. I was
then kinda surprised, on rebooting from the hard drive, that my Xfce
desktop bore no resemblance to the old one.

My fix was to blow away the new home directory entirely (rm -rf
/home/<me> as root) then explode the old archive a second time. A few
things still had to be fixed but basically that did the job.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics