cloning xfce config?

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 19:51:03 CEST 2022

On Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Ulli Horlacher
<framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> I have a new install of Mint 21 with Xfce (4.16).
> Everything looks good.
> Then I copied this installation to a USB disk with linuxclone(*).
> On a second PC I can boot with this USB disk.
>
> BUT my default user "tux" has now a very different desktop look:
> It has "dark mode", two panels (top and bottom), different background
> image, etc.

My guess is that the defaults on your USB disk are somehow being
loaded, and then your configuration is loaded on top of that. I don't
know how that could happen.

I wrote xfce-config-helper [1] precisely to have control over these
situations, you can dump both configurations and use diff to find the
differences. Then you can merge the two configurations and the result
should work on both. Or just dump your configuration and load it into
the USB disk.

[1] https://github.com/felipec/xfce-config-helper

--
Felipe Contreras