About display settings in multi-monitor setup.

Jarno Suni sunijarno at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 12:32:16 CET 2021

Hi,

I find it unintuitive that mere running "xfce4-display-settings
--minimal" changes display settings. In some of my use cases it did
turn off the screen I was using at the moment. I think having
"xfce4-display-settings --reset" for such automatic switching without
no UI would be better.

I am not using a laptop but a regular computer with three displays.
The presets of the minimal display settings dialog do not cover the
third display, but I can save profiles that do cover it. Most commonly
I just want to use a single display but it varies which I want to use.
I also want to use different custom DPI setting  and custom refresh
rate with each monitor. I have written a script that switches between
monitors and changes all the involved settings accordingly (using
xrandr and xfconf-query). One thing is that I miss though is that I
would like the system to remember last used configuration when I start
a session. When I use xfce4-display-settings this somehow happens, but
not with my script.

(I am using Xubuntu 20.04 with xfce4-display-settings 4.14.3)