Evolution does not remind unread emails

Michael De Roover xfce at nixmagic.com
Thu Nov 12 13:33:03 CET 2020

On Wed, 2020-11-11 at 23:57 +0100, Alex wrote:
> No idea if xfce4-session or evolution is to blame.

FWIW, I'm using Evolution 3.30.5-1.1 myself on the Mate desktop on
Debian. I've just attempted to kill the session while Evolution is
still running (sudo systemctl restart lightdm), while having marked
some emails in this thread as read (by reading them of course). After
logging in again, it seems that the emails do remain read.

I do not think that sessions are related. Normally when marking an
email read in the mail client, the server should be informed
immediately about the change. This sounds to me as if this
communication back to the mail server just isn't happening instantly.

Within Evolution, there is a timer that delays the actual "marking the
email read" by a few seconds after opening it. Perhaps this timer is
set to a far longer (perhaps even indefinite?) value? See
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2012-August/msg00047.html
. For me this setting seems to be set to 1.5 seconds by default.

P.S.: Nicola, please do provide package versions, especially for a
rolling release distro like Arch. They change over time (especially so
in fast-paced Arch) and are generally unknown to the users of other
distributions.

--
Michael De Roover <xfce at nixmagic.com>