How to run .profile, etc

Joe Riel joer at san.rr.com
Fri May 22 21:07:14 CEST 2020

On Fri, 22 May 2020 19:44:20 +0100
Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:45:29AM -0700, Joe Riel wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 May 2020 08:59:05 -0500
> > Robby Workman <robby at rlworkman.net> wrote:

> > > Sounds like you want $HOME/.xprofile instead; xdm's Xsession
> > > uses it, but no idea if other login managers do...
> >
> > I use xfce4 with lightdm.  The file $HOME/.xprofile never gets executed,
> > so far as I can tell (added code to write to file).
> >
> > Do I need to reboot to execute it?  Or should logging out and
> > logging back in (graphical login) suffice?  It doesn't.
> >
> The way that .xprofile works is probably much less well defined and
> documented than the way that .profile gets run.  Do you really need
> something that's *only* run for an X/GUI login?  If not then I'd
> investigate why .profile doesn't provide what you want.

I want to configure my trackball to emulate a middle click.
I've tried adding files to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d but they have
no effect.  The only think I've found is to call xinput
with appropriate set-prop command.  I don't want it
to run from a remote login.

As mentioned in previous reply, neither .profile, .bash_profile,
nor .xprofile get executed when using the graphical login with lightdm.
Maybe there is a way to configure that...

--
Joe Riel