why does the terminal start pulseaudio?

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 23:58:32 CEST 2020

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 21:57, Andrzej <andrzejr at xfce.org> wrote:

> Good question. As far as I can see there is nothing related to
> pulseaudio in xfce4-terminal, so my guess would be that's coming either
> from dbus or from libvte (a library implementing the terminal widget).
>
> Could you please check if the following commands start pulseaudio:
>
> $ xfce4-terminal --disable-server

Tried it, but it did not make any difference.

I should have mentioned that I had before the test commented out the
autostart line in /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop.

> $ gnome-terminal
>
> (another VTE-based terminal emulator)

I tried 5 other VTE based terminals: lxterminal, tilix, termite,
terminator and gnome. Gnome was the only one that did not start
pulseaudio, and also the only one that started nearly instantaneously.
All the others, including xfce-terminal, took a couple of seconds to
start.

In any case, after my first email in this thread I found how to
prevent autospawn of pulseaudio in the Ubuntu forum. It seems to work
for me in Arch:

systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service
systemctl --user disable pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user disable pulseaudio.service
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.socket
systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.service

Note that the above is for each individual user, not for the system,
and should be entered as the user, not root or with sudo.