Disabling all screen dimming when plugged in (AC)

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Sep 11 09:42:42 CEST 2019

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 11:48:30PM +0000, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I think this might be the first (or second) e-mail to the list, so
> please be kind and considerate with this newbie. ;)
>
> What I'd like to do is do from the command line what I do with the GUI
> by going to
> XFCE Settings-〉Power Manager -〉Display
> And reducing all values on the "plugged in" column to "never"
> basically disabling all power managent features (dimming, locking,
> sleep mode, etc) while the system is plugged into AC and not running
> on battery.
>
> I guess this can be achieved by some command line fu...
> Right?

I expect it can be done from the command line but I don't quite
understand why you would want to do this.  Surely once set these
things stay the way you have set them 'for ever' until you change them
again.  The only reason I could see for doing it from the command line
would be because you want to do this every time you log-in/turn-on by
running a script, and this would be pointless.

I suppose you *might* want to install a script on lots of identical
machines to do this automatically so that all the machines act the
same way but this seems a bit unlikely! :-)

If your settings are not 'sticking' then there's something wrong that
needs fixing, a script to do this every time you turn on is a bodge.

--
Chris Green