Xfce Digest, Vol 191, Issue 7

jEsuSdA 8) listas at jesusda.com
Tue Oct 22 14:19:26 CEST 2019

Thank you so much for your words.

I understand a bit better what new CSD roadmap consists.

I understand your motivations, but I think the problem caused by CSD
still there.

For example (mousepad with CSD):

https://imgur.com/HHNAFw6.png

Here you can see some interesting things:

- Hacking Compton (or another window compositor) you can avoid double
shadows, but other related problems persists. I'm using "background
blur" and as you can see all around mousepad looks blurred. An effect
not welcome.

But, yes. I understand not all the people will using another window
compositor but XFWM. So it is my problem. Maybe if XFWM could be more
efficient and configurable I can go back to it in the future.

- As you can see the appearance of CSD and non-CSD windows are
completely different. Mousepad Vs. Pluma. Not the same borders, not the
same shadows, not the same window title, not the same buttons or icons,
not the same lights... this is an objective problem, I think.

- Maybe for some users like you the "roll" feature is nonsense, but it
is very useful. If XFCE want to be user-focused as always, dropping
these features could be considered a step backward.

But, you wrote some ideas I consider interesting: Maybe if you proceed
to add CSD but you ensure some users like me can start these
applications with gtk3-nocsd or GTK_CSD=0 and they could work fine, this
could be a good solution to bring happiness to all users.

The ones who like CSD could follow the new XFCE standard out-of-the-box,
and the ones who hate that could force no-csd and being happy.

So I suggest could be interesting to add a configuration parameter in
Control Panel to switch on or off the CSD and it will be great.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your time and efforts. ;)