Why CSD?

jEsuSdA 8) listas at jesusda.com
Mon Oct 21 16:18:28 CEST 2019

Hi!

I just read this piece of news:

https://simon.shimmerproject.org/2019/10/19/xfce-4-15-development-phase-starting/

Where we can read the new plans to add CSD to XFCE.

I also read https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.16/roadmap/general_ui/csd

But I still no understanding the actual benefits of switching to CSD
paradigm.

What are the benefits of migrating to CSD?

I ask this cause In my opinion, mixing normal and CSD is a pain. There
is no way to have a uniform experience and appearance when using almost
tall GTK themes but the awful Adwaita and window composition like
Compiz, Compton, etc. and I had to make some tricks to avoid some CSD
effects.

In my opinion, HeaderBars are a non-sense. You only have a good desktop
experience when you only use CSD+HeaderBars apps, which is impossible
cause a normal user uses a lot of applications that does not follow
these UI Guidelines. Also a normal user uses QT applications inside GTK
environments. At least you have no plans to use HeaderBar, which is good
news.

In the screenshots we can see at
https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.16/roadmap/general_ui/csd there are some
cases we can see how the XFCE consistency breaks:

https://wiki.xfce.org/_media/releng/4.16/roadmap/general_ui/notifyd.png

https://wiki.xfce.org/_media/releng/4.16/roadmap/general_ui/notifyd-csd.png

- If you configures XFWM to not showing the icon in the window border,
when using CSD the icon could appears in left-top corners.

- The window title border size is not the same in CSD windows and
Non-CSD ones.

- You can minimize, roll, maximize and close the non-CSS windows, but
you only can close the CSD ones.

- What if the XFWM is configured to not using composition (so windows
have no shadows) and CSD windows forces shadows?

- And, what if you are using a configuration of composition with shadows
and CSD have shadows too? (I use compton and I have to tweak the CSS
theme to avoid CSD shadows, cause, if not all the CSD windows have 2
shadows)

I’m a bit worried about the new CSD implementation. So, please, help us
to understand why this is preferable.

Thanks a lot!