Thunar: disable thumbnails just for PDFs

Alex acs82 at gmx.de
Fri Nov 29 23:38:52 CET 2019

Am 29.11.19 um 22:56 schrieb Olivier Duchateau:
> Le Fri, 29 Nov 2019 22:30:08 +0100,
> Alex <acs82 at gmx.de> a écrit :
>
>> Hi Lorenzo,
>>
>> in xfce tumbler is the service which provides thumbnails for thunar
>> ... however actually I dont get any pdf thumbnails on my system. The
>> default "tumbler.rc" seems not to mention a pdf thumbnailer plugin,
>> nor does the Wiki: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/tumbler
>>
>> My guess would be that you are just using a different thumbnailer
>> (evince?), which supports pdf thumbnailing. Removing it, and clearing
>> .cache/thumbnails hopefully should help.
>> (Or your distro provides some special tumbler plugin for pdf's ... in
>> that case I would like to add it to the tumbler wiki :-) )
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexander Schwinn
>>
>> Am 29.11.19 um 09:42 schrieb Lorenzo Sutton:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> While I find thumbnails handy for image file types, I actually find
>>> them a distracting for PDFs as I'm mostly using detailed list view.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to fine-tune for which filetypes previews are shown?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Lorenzo.
> Tumbler supports PDF thumbnails through poppler.

Good to know that ... though I cant get it to work.

Installed "poppler-utils", browsed git and found that there is  the
plugin "poppler-thumbnailer".

Copied /etc/xdg/tumbler/tumbler.r  to $HOME/.config/tumbler and added
poppler to it (no Idea if thats the correct plugin name) :

[PopplerThumbnailer]
Disabled=false
Priority=4
Locations=
MaxFileSize=209715200

Killed tumblerd and restarted thunar daemon  .... nothing.  Help is
welcome !

Is there any doc around on how to use it ? We really need such doc in
the wiki, otherwise nobody will know that such plugins even exist (as
well for the other tumbler plugins)

Cheers,

Alexander Schwinn