Feature request: window placement widget that allows for multiple placements / sizes

Jon Boone ipmonger at delamancha.org
Thu Nov 28 20:13:00 CET 2019

Thanks, Stephane for the information.  I suppose I'm a bit confused --
 is there a difference between a floating and a stacking window
manager?  My initial research seems to indicate not.

My understanding is that MacOS X Window Manager is a stacking window
manager.  I'm quite comfortable with using this type of window manager
-- except I miss this one feature on Linux (and Windows, for that
matter).

Based on your feedback, I have investigated a few tiling window
managers -- with i3 looking like a potential one I could use since it
seems to support both tiling and floating modes on the same screen.

I recall, back in the day, using ~/.Xwmrc(?) files to pre-define
geometry for classes of windows, which seems like what most tiling
window managers do now via a different configuration file.  However,
that's not quite what I'm after with Moom-like capabilities.

With Moom, the pre-defined configurations specify potential geometries
for all windows that support maximization -- and I dynamically choose
which pre-defined geometry to apply to a given window instance at any
moment -- all driven by the mouse.  I retain the control to
individually resize the windows as desired.

The one thing tiling window managers would seem to do better than Moom
is deal with geometry changes when the screen resolution changes --
such as when I change from clamshell mode into laptop mode.

--jon