configuring the mouse right-button window to put terminal in the first spot

Dan Hitt dan.hitt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 21:28:24 CET 2019

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 10:17 AM Mathias Brodala <info at noctus.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dan Hitt schrieb am 18.11.19 um 20:05:
> > I'm using xfce version 4.12 on debian 10.
> >
> > I would like to configure the menu that pops up when i click on the
> > right mouse button to have the terminal app as the very first entry.
> > Right now, terminal is in some sub-menu.
>
> You are looking for a menu editor:
>
> $ apt search menu edit
> Sorting... Done
> Full Text Search... Done
> alacarte/unstable,unstable 3.11.91-5 all
>   easy GNOME menu editing tool
>
> kmenuedit/unstable 4:5.14.5-1 amd64
>   XDG menu editor
>
> menulibre/unstable,unstable,now 2.2.1-1 all [installed]
>   advanced FreeDesktop.org compliant menu editor
>
> mozo/unstable,unstable 1.22.2-1 all
>   easy MATE menu editing tool
>
> obmenu/unstable 1.0-4 amd64
>   Graphical menu editor for openbox
>
> Here I'm using https://bluesabre.org/projects/menulibre/, as you can see.
>
> Regards, Mathias

Thanks Mathias.

I did try menulibre.

I ran the program from the command line.

On the left side of the menulibre screen is a long list of items:
  Run Program
  -----
  Terminal Emulator
  File Manager
  Mail Reader
  Web Browser
  -----
  Settings
  -----
  Accessories
  Development

I can click on Terminal Emulator, and then press the up arrow at the bottom
left of the screen --- because, after all, i do want it to go to the top
level of the right-click (context) menu.

What happens instead though is that the Applications submenu of the context
menu gets depopulated: when i right click, not only is there no 'Terminal'
at the top level, all of the entries in the 'Applications' submenu are
gone.  I can back out of this by deleting
~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu and then logging out and logging
back in.

If you have any pointers about how i can better use menulibre, please let
me know and thanks in advance.

And in the meantime, i can try those other editors you list, for which,
thanks!

dan