[solved] Icon picked from HighContrast icon theme instead of Adwaita

Paul Menzel pmenzel+xfce at molgen.mpg.de
Fri Jun 21 16:16:15 CEST 2019

Dear Xfce folks,

On 06/20/19 16:32, Paul Menzel wrote:

> We are using Xfce 4.14pre1, and our users report the issue below.
> I guess it happened before too. We are using GTK+ 3.24.8.
>
> When using the Adwaita icon theme, the icon for a folder is taken
> from another theme (HighContrast). This is on the desktop but
> also in the file dialogs for example.
>
> The next strange issue is, that when changing the icon size from
> the shipped standard sizes, the color of the icon changes from
> black to “folder color“.
>
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  431 Jun 20 15:27 /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/48x48/places/folder.png
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  704 Jun 20 16:12 /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/places/folder.png
>
> The attached screen shots hopefully help to see what I mean.
>
> We tried to recreate the icon caches, and updated the themes to
> no avail.
>
> What Xfce component is responsible for this?

Turns out, this was discussed before [1].

> I was comparing the HighContrast theme with Adwaita, and I noticed
> that the former has folder icons stored in two places in the theme
> directory: places/folder.png and also the same one in
> mimetypes/inode-directory.png. Adwaita doesn't have these
> inode-directory icons. So I tried the following:
>
>     # cd /usr/share/icons/Adwaita
>     # for size in 16x16 22x22 24x24 32x32 48x48 256x256; do (cd $size/mimetypes; ln -vsf ../places/folder.png inode-directory.png); done
>
> After this the problem seems to be fixed.

I ran the command below, and it also fixed it for me.

    for size in 16x16 22x22 24x24 32x32 48x48 512x512; do (cd $size/mimetypes; sudo ln -vsf ../places/folder.png inode-directory.png); done

I reported this to the upstream folks [2].

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/thunar-displays-wrong-folder-icons-when-using-adwaita-theme-4175590565/
[2]: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/adwaita-icon-theme/issues/38