Icon picked from HighContrast icon theme instead of Adwaita

Paul Menzel pmenzel+xfce at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Jun 20 16:32:48 CEST 2019

Dear Xfce folks,

We are using Xfce 4.14pre1, and our users report the issue below.
I guess it happened before too. We are using GTK+ 3.24.8.

When using the Adwaita icon theme, the icon for a folder is taken
from another theme (HighContrast). This is on the desktop but
also in the file dialogs for example.

The next strange issue is, that when changing the icon size from
the shipped standard sizes, the color of the icon changes from
black to “folder color“.

    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  431 Jun 20 15:27 /usr/share/icons/HighContrast/48x48/places/folder.png
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  704 Jun 20 16:12 /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/places/folder.png

The attached screen shots hopefully help to see what I mean.

We tried to recreate the icon caches, and updated the themes to
no avail.

What Xfce component is responsible for this?

Kind regards,

Paul