How to debug a file manager bug

Behrens, Lars (PHI) lars.behrens at kit.edu
Tue Jan 29 09:48:07 CET 2019

Hi there,

I am not sure at all if this is the right place to ask so I'll try
not to get too far into detail at first.

Thunar is showing wrong permissions here (Ubuntu 18.04) with one file
system which is mounted via nfs4. Users cannot write, as they aren't
granted the correct credentials. The thing is: Caja shows the same
wrong behaviour, accessing in a shell or through pcmanfm works
correctly, accessing that same fs via cifs, too.

* There must be one component that thunar and caja (nautilus) have in
common which seems to work incorrectly or is not enabled or missing.

* We have several nfs[3,4] and cifs mounts here and that issue happens
only on that particular file system and it is the only one with acl
enabled. So I assume that acl is the feature causing the issue.

* Older versions of Thunar (e.g. in Ubuntu 16.04) work well, newer
ones, even bleeding edge, show it across all distros (Fedora, Arch,
Debian unstable)

Any hints what to do or where to go in order to find the cause
of the problem? I am afraid distros will refer to upstream, Thunar devs
to downstream.

TIA and cheerz,
Lars