Desktop overlaps the screen - SOLVED for Element 31" TV

Brian b_lists at patandbrian.org
Wed Jan 9 15:17:46 CET 2019

On 1/9/19 3:53 AM, Brian wrote:

OK, further information in case anybody else is having the problem.
Thanks to Olivier telling me the correct term for the problem, I've
managed to do some research. If you plug 'TV overscan' into a search
engine, you'll get a lot of information about the history of overscan.
You'll also learn that there are a LOT of different terms for it, that
it's switched on by default in most if not all TVs (because the
manufacturers assume that you're going to use it as a TV rather than a
computer monitor), and that there's no consistent way to turn it off.

Some manufacturers have it plainly labelled as 'overscan' in the
menus. Some Element TVs (the 40 inch model) have it in a HIDDEN menu
that you have to know how to access, and apparently it resets the
setting every power cycle.

On the 31 inch model which I have, the solution is to go to the
picture menu, selected advanced, and then instead of having HDMI Mode
set to 'auto' (which you would obviously expect would be the best
setting, no?) you have to set it to 'graphic'. THAT is what sets
overscan off **on this particular model of TV**.

Brian.