Binaries for Debian & better support for multi monitors ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 26 16:16:01 CEST 2019

>On 2019-08-26 13:05, Jean-Philippe Combe wrote:
>> Also, does XFCE 4.14 has an improved support for multi monitors that
>> has the version of XFCE in Xubuntu 18.04 ?

Hi,

you expect others to do your homework. Regarding
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/xfce4 Xfce4 for Ubuntu flavours such
as Xubuntu, is version 4.12.4.

You also asked a vague question about multi-monitor support.

Could you at least describe what kind of "improved" multi monitor
support you expect? Some special Ubuntu GUI, also available for Debian?
What kind of multi-monitor setup? Dual, IOW 2 monitors or more than 2
monitors? It makes a big difference, since 2 monitors are no issue at
all.

For a dual-head setup xrandr from command line is easy to use
for everything you could imagine, at least when using X based
environments, but I guess Wayland is anyway no concern when using Xfce4.

I'm using xrandr to easily make even the most freakish combinations of
a LCD and a CRT monitor available, connected to a single Intel graphics
by HDMI and VGA (D-sub), completely unrelated to the used WM and/or DE.

It's not unimportant to know what kind of monitors you want to attach
to what kind of a single or multiple graphics and what you consider
"improved support" to be.

Any modern major Linux distro (most likely FreeBSD, too) provides
multi-monitor support. What is "improved" for?

Regards,
Ralf

--
pacman -Q linux{,-rt{-cornflower,-pussytoes,,-securityink}}|cut -d\  -f2
5.2.9.arch1-1