xfwm: Setting `--vblank=off` as a user

Paul Menzel pmenzel+xfce at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Oct 4 18:56:56 CEST 2018

Dear Olivier,

Thank you very much for your response.

On 10/04/18 17:37, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 at 15:18, Paul Menzel wrote:
>> With
>>
>> ```
>> $ xfwm4 --version
>>         This is xfwm4 version 4.13.1 (revision 942156e4) for Xfce 4.12
>
> So you're build predates and does not feature the fix for GL vblank
> (commit 0e6b940/bug #14564)
>
>>         Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
>>         Compiled against GTK+-3.22.30, using GTK+-3.22.30.
>>
>>         Build configuration and supported features:
>>         - Startup notification support:                 Yes
>>         - XSync support:                                Yes
>>         - Render support:                               Yes
>>         - Xrandr support:                               Yes
>>         - Xpresent support:                             No
>
> And your build is incomplete, Xpresent should be the default but it's
> not enabled in your build.
>
>>         - Embedded compositor:                          Yes
>>         - Epoxy support:                                Yes
>>         - KDE systray proxy (deprecated):               No
>> ```
>>
>> one of our users has an issue with the amdgpu graphics driver.
>
> So you're defaulting to GL for vblank which is broken in the version
> you use.
>
>> `xfwm4 --replace --vblank=off` works around that problem, so we
>> would like to disable it, on only that system, and it’d be nice, if
>> the users could do it themselves.
>>
>> Reading [1], it should be possible, but there is no option
>> *Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank* in the tab
>> *Compositor* in xfwm4-tweaks-settings.
>>
>> I am now going to configure it in `/etc/Xmor
>> erecent11/xorg.conf.d/`, but it’d be great if the user could do
>> it.
>
> No, this is not meant to be a user option - Having an option to
> "unbreak things" is usually suboptimal,

Agreed.

> I would advise to 1. enable Xpresent in your build and 2. use a more
> current source tree for your build.

Actually, we already carry that commit in our build [1].

    PATCHURL+=(/src/mariux/patches/0001-compositor-GLX-Synchronize-GLX-and-X-rendering.patch)

Maybe it is commit d6e7fbc4 (compositor: Use a fence to sync X and
GL). We will test it with the latest master branch to see if it has
been fixed in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://github.molgen.mpg.de/mariux64/bee-files/blob/master/xfwm4.be0