xmodmap not loading $HOME/.Xmodmap

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 3 00:03:29 CEST 2018

   My current desktop (and previous ones which had the same ~/ files) loads
~/.Xmodmap when I start X. All other hosts (portables and the new desktop)
don't want to run 'xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap' despite having that command in
~/.bash_profile.

   Also, fresh installations of Slackware and Xfce4 now have ~/.config/xfce4
but lack the .xinitrc the old desktop has in ~/.xfce4/. Is there no longer
an .xinitrc in which I can put commands to invoke small tools (such as
gkrellm) when the X Window System is loaded?

   And, while I configured Settings -> Session and Startup to save the
session when I log out, the workspace applications that were open when last
saved are automatically re-loaded. What have I missed here?

TIA,

Rich