Spare borders when tiling

Pétùr peturvilj at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:17:39 CEST 2018

Le 19/06/2018 à 09:46, Olivier Fourdan a écrit :
> Hi
>
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 at 09:07, Pétùr <peturvilj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When tiling in Xfce (xfwm4 4.12.4-1 in Debian sid) I have some space left
>> at the bottom, left and right. The tiling is not border to border.
>> Windows are from xfce4-terminal and emacs. My ratio screen is
>> a popular one (16:9). I use the mouse to drag window to the border.
>>
>> Is there anyway to have a proper tiling with no space left? Future
>> versions of Xfce are improving on this point?
>
> Those applications specify a size increment so that the overall size
> of the window remains a multiple of a character cell and xfwm4 honor
> this even when tiling.
>
> So this is not a defect in xfwm4, it just strictly applies what the
> client has requested for its size (granted, there are exceptions
> there, like maximized or fullscreen, xfwm4 will ignore size increments
> for those).

Ok Thanks for the answer. I understand better why xfwm4 tiles this way.

However, I must say I disagree on this choice.

1. Inconsistency. Some windows (libreoffice, thunderbird message writing
window, ...) tiles with no space in between. Some other tiles with space
(xfce4-terminal, emacs, ...). I think all windows should tile the same way.

2. Inconsistency. If I drag the window to the top, it maximizes it and,
like you said, it ignore size increments. Why a different behavior when
dragging to the side?

3. Ugliness. If I have some picture for background (and not a unicolor),
it could be very disturbing to see few pixels of it between my tiled
windows.

4. And gnome-shell or other windows managers tiles with no space left;
when switching to xfce, the tiling feature seems badly implemented.

For these reasons, I think xfce should adopt a "no space left" policy in
the tiling area.

Pétùr