GUI for setting timezone

Lars Behrens lars.behrens at kit.edu
Tue Jun 12 09:17:07 CEST 2018

Am Mon, 11 Jun 2018 19:50:36 -0400
schrieb Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:

> Is there anything equivalent in Xfce?  The clock app can set what
> timezone it wants to show through a text block (no nice world map),
> but this does not update the system timezone from what I have seen.

Here setting it works, but crashes afterwards. I find scrolling
through all the zones tedious anyway.

If you're not afraid of the commandline: The timezone gets set
through the symlink '/etc/localtime' which points to the correct zone
in /usr/share/zoneinfo, the same does editing the setting
through the clock app.

AFAIK this is a thing that still is similar across the
various distros.

So IMO the fastest way to set the timezone is to change the symlink
(as root).

ln -sf /usr/share/[YourZone]/[YourCity] /etc/localtime

e.g.:

~# ls -l /etc/localtime
~# /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin
~# date
~# Di 12. Jun 08:55:24 CEST 2018
~# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Dublin /etc/localtime
~# ls -l /etc/localtime
~# /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone/Dublin
~# date
~# Di 12. Jun 07:55:34 IST 2018

You could even set starters on the desktop for various zones with a bit
of terminal fiddling.

Cheerz,
Lars