How to maximize on multiple monitors

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Fri Aug 3 09:43:00 CEST 2018

I use the NVidia drivers from NVidia and not the open source drivers.
The reason is that with that you will get `nvidia-settings` and for me
that
works the best to set up the display how I like.I have 3 moniotors of
different sizes and can set them up as separate desktops or as one
desktop.

You could use it as one desktop and script your way around it in a way
where
you can maximize to monitor, but that would not do the snapping as you
are
working on one desktop and that one desktop does not have a border ib
the
middle.

Another disadvantage would be that if you have two not alighned
monitors,
there will be an area on the desktop, that is a rectangle, that you can
not
see and where things could 'hide'.

To wrap you head around it, you must think in term of desktops, and the
monitors are just there to show the desktops. To me having multiple
destops outwages the ability to e.g. drag from one monitor to another.

So what you want: having the desktop border the monitors AND have them
border
the collection of monitors and have a non-rectangle desktop is not
possible
as far as I know.

You could stop reading here. Attention: rambling starts now.

Live example: Say I have two monitors with two desktops each. On one
desktop
I am doing some HTML coding. On the other I have the browser to show the
website.

I want to see a movie. I just go to another desktop and the second
monitor
and all the rest is still available.And switching dssktops is better
than
just going alt-tab between programs. On a desktop I could have several
programs in a specific layout. e.g. 6 terminal windows, while one
desktop
2 I have other things in a different layout.

Going from 'read email and reddit next to eachother' to 'monitor
servers' to
'programming with vim and data entry test' is an enourmour production
boost
once you get used to it.

HTH, HAND

houghi

The thing is that it will look either at the seperate desktops or at one
desktop