User .xinitrc not run with GDM

Vinzenz Vietzke vinz at vinzv.de
Wed Nov 22 20:42:27 CET 2017

Am 22.11.2017 um 20:23 schrieb Ambrose LI:
>> Trying to implement the suggestion from the thread *Monitor dependent DPI
>> size with shared home* [1] by adding a custom user xinitrc script, it
>> unfortunately isn’t run. Xfce 4.12 is started from GDM.
> This has bugged me for the longest time too (I'm using lightdm). I
> tried the other suggestion in that post (create a script inside
> .config/autostart) and it worked for me. Maybe that will work with gdm
> too?

Just a quick guess, as I found some sources saying LightDM, GDM etc.
will not run /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc or ~/.xinitrc:

Can any of you (or both?) try using ~/.profile instead of ~/.xinitrc?
Despite that it might be a good idea to place scripts running at login
into somewhere (~/bin) and to launch it via *.desktop file in
~/.config/autostart.

Regards,
vinz.