Should I be running Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 7 19:22:55 CEST 2017

On Sun, 7 May 2017 11:38:07 -0500, c. marlow wrote:
>If I am Correct, I remember you from the debian xfce list? :D So what
>DE are you running now?

Hi,

yesno, from debian-user, a long time ago. That time I had an AMD based
machine with similar specifications as your Intel [1]. It was an Athlon
dual-core 2.1 GHz, just sse2 and 4 GiB of DDR2 RAM. It was fast enough
to run Xfce4 when doing real-time audio productions. FWIW the mobo
provided USB 2 and SATA 2. Btw. the default desktop environment of
Ubuntu Studio still is Xfce4, it's aimed to work with old machines.

My new machine is an Intel Celeron dual-core 2.8 GHz, with sse4 (just
important to run some proprietary Linux audio software) [2] and 8 GiB of
DDR3 RAM, the mobo provides USB 3 and SATA 3.

You should be able to run Xfce4 without any problems. Alternatively
Mate should run without hiccups, too.

I tested Ubuntu-Mate, they do a good job. If I still would use a desktop
environment, I perhaps would use Mate instead of Xfce4, but I can't say
for sure.

If you should like LXDE, then you better set up the environment
yourself, since I also tested Lubuntu. They do a disgusting bad job.

I migrated to openbox, so I don't use a desktop environment at all.
My preferred distro is Arch Linux, but I also set up Ubuntu with
openbox. I customized my Ubuntu similar to Arch Linux, the Ubuntu
basic install was even without X.

[1]
I don't know if it was rev._G1 or rev._G2, however, you Intel seem to
perform a little bit better.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/959/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G1)_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2160.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/960/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G2)_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2160.html

[2]
My new CPU compared to yours and my old processor.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/157/Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1840_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_E2160.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/939/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G1)_vs_Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1840.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/940/AMD_Athlon_64_X2_BE-2350_(rev._G2)_vs_Intel_Celeron_Dual-Core_G1840.html

Regards,