Why does clock app need time zone set?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Mar 27 12:24:17 CEST 2017

On 03/27/2017 03:23 AM, Andrzej wrote:
> On 26/03/17 19:55, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>> Fedora24 and Xfce 4.12 (I think)
>>
>> I just realized that the clock app needs the timezone manually
>> entered.  When I change system timezones (on the Amtrak Wolverine
>> train to Chicago) the clock applet does not pick this up.
>
> By default the clock plugin uses the local time set in system
> settings. That is, unless the user instructs it to use a different one.
>
>> Entering the timezone in the applet gets the time to the proper
>> zone.  I would think that the applet should be able to pick up the
>> current system timezone and not make me change it within the applet.
>
> Clear the time zone name in the plugin config dialog - it will revert
> to the local time.
>
> (This makes me wonder if tooltips are a good choice for documenting
> behavior like this.)

I always had it cleared.  But when I would move to a new timezone, and
use the Xfce system-date-time app to change my timezone, the clock
applet never followed the change.  Only be reinstalling the applet, or
setting the timezone in the applet would it adjust to the new timezone.

Yes, the applet 'learns' of the timezone at session start, but it never
changes.