Why does clock app need time zone set?

Andrzej ndrw.xf at kurumi.co.uk
Mon Mar 27 10:23:01 CEST 2017

On 26/03/17 19:55, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Fedora24 and Xfce 4.12 (I think)
>
> I just realized that the clock app needs the timezone manually
> entered.  When I change system timezones (on the Amtrak Wolverine
> train to Chicago) the clock applet does not pick this up.

By default the clock plugin uses the local time set in system settings.
That is, unless the user instructs it to use a different one.

> Entering the timezone in the applet gets the time to the proper zone.
> I would think that the applet should be able to pick up the current
> system timezone and not make me change it within the applet.

Clear the time zone name in the plugin config dialog - it will revert to
the local time.

(This makes me wonder if tooltips are a good choice for documenting
behavior like this.)