Survey: vertical vs deskbar panel

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Mon Mar 6 16:34:51 CET 2017

On Mon, 6 Mar 2017, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> On 03/06/2017 06:38 AM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Mar 2017 14:57:35 +0100
>> killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Who is using the panel in vertical mode instead of deskbar mode and why?
>>>
>>> Feel free to answer. Please also mention if there is any plugin usable
>>> for you only in vertical mode. Suggestions how to improve plugins in
>>> deskbar mode are also welcome.
>>
>> Using two, one horizontal at the bottoms of the screen, and one
>> vertical on the left side.
>>
> I use precisely the same setup.
>
> Vertical space is much more precious than horizontal space,
> particularly with the ubiquitous 16:9 screens.

Me too, for the same reason. There's plenty of space on the left of
my screen for a panel but I don't want to give up any vertical space
(other than at the L or R edge: I have panel dedicated to a
workspace switcher at the top right).

I find that the items I want work nicely in vertical mode, though it
took a bit of fiddling with preferences to get them right,
particularly xfce4-weather-plugin.

I'm using current Xfce as supplied by Arch.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics