Brightness up/down keys stopped working?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Jun 21 00:12:19 CEST 2017

On 2017-06-20 5:41 pm, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> On 06/20/2017 11:46 AM, David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> I'm not sure what triggered this, but it looks like some recent
>> upgrade has disabled the XF86MonBrightnessUp & Down keys, and I think
>> the issue might be limited to XFCE.  (When I run xev under XFCE, it
>> never registers that key press.  But when I launch fluxbox in VT8 and
>> run xev there it does.)
>>
>> Anyone aware of any recent release that might have caused this?  (And,
>> if so, how I might fix it?)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> DR
>

> A little more info:
>
> Although xev doesn't register the brightness key events, it does seem
> to be firing some brightness related events that are unexpected:
>
> RRNotify event, serial 68, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
>     subtype XRROutputPropertyChangeNotifyEvent
>     output eDP1, property Backlight, timestamp 243122, state NewValue
>
> DR

I think this may be relevant:  looks like for some reason the XFCE
notifications daemon isn't running, and keypresses that trigger
notifications are taking a long time to get processed:

Jun 20 18:07:27 darosedm dbus-daemon[642]: Activating service
name='org.freedesktop.Notifications'
Jun 20 18:08:27 darosedm plasma_waitforname[5624]:
org.kde.knotifications: WaitForName: Service was not registered within
timeout
Jun 20 18:08:27 darosedm dbus-daemon[642]: Activated service
'org.freedesktop.Notifications' failed: Process
org.freedesktop.Notifications exited with status 1

DR