How to use custom icon for desktop submenu?

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 19:47:25 CEST 2016

On 2016-03-30, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you specify a custom icon for an XFCE 4.12 desktop menu's
> submenu?
>
> For an application rather than a submenu, you can do this in foo.application:

Oops, I meant applications/foo.desktop

> Icon=/home/username/icons/foo.png
>
> But for submenu 'foo' specifying a path for an icon file in
> foo.directory (same as above) doesn't work.
[...]
> AFAICT, for submenus you aren't allowed to specify the path of an icon
> file?  You're only allowed to specify an "icon name" or something?

I eventually got my custom submenu icon to work by installing it using
xdg-icon-resource and then using the icon file's basename.  Sure would
be nice if you could just specify the icon file's path the way you can
in a .desktop file.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... bleakness
                                  at               ... desolation ... plastic