screen saver?

Weedy weedy2887 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:12:01 CEST 2016

On 6 Jun 2016 17:48, "Charlie Kravetz" <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 12:26:25 -0700
> ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >EPEL's Xfce 4.12 upgrade came through on Scientific Linux 7.2 yesterday.
> >Yippee!
> >
> >Screensaver is not missing from the Applications --> Settings menu.
> >Do I need to reinstall xscreensaver or some other substitute?
> >
> >Many thanks,
> >-T
> >

> Many distros have begun removing xscreensaver at the request of the
> developer. He would prefer no one modify his software in any way,
> leaving no choice but to not include it. You may be able to reinstall
> from the repositories. When Debian Sid moves to testing, xscreensaver
> won't even be in the repositories.

https://www.jwz.org/blog/2016/04/i-would-like-debian-to-stop-shipping-xscreensaver/

He added a warning to outdated versions that users would see. And a plea to
maintainers in the source.

He's tired of having his time wasted with bug reports from versions 2+years
old.

Which is arguable fair. If I cared enough I would go find the Debian bug
and find out why testing doesn't have a recent version.