XFCE 4.12 - F24 - Window Maximise behaviour

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 09:42:04 CET 2016

Hi all,

Recently upgrading from Fedora 23 to 24 (so both XFCE 4.12 (note: this
wasn't an actual softeare upgrade. but a fresh install as I also
installed a new hard disk)).
I noticed (a change in default behaviour of 'maximised' windows, where
essentially upon maximising the window frame is removed (including top
bar with title etc.
I assume this is similar to Gnome 3 behaviour.

Now while this works well for 'gnome-oriented' applications (i.e. ones
which have standard max/un-maximise and close buttons within the window
space), as you get more screen estate and no redundant functionality
with the window title + functionality directly provided by the
application. Yet it can prove to be problematic for 'normal'
applications, especially when wanting to quickly un-maximise and
possibly move the window.

What I'm wondering is if there is any trick to have best of both worlds,
i.e. detect 'gnome-oriented' applications and non, and maximise
accordingly, therefore maintaining the typical window frame.

Thanks for any input.
Lorenzo.