backlight_helper_get_best_backlight()

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Fri Apr 22 08:33:48 CEST 2016

Am 22.04.2016 um 02:56 schrieb Jack Bates:
> Power Manager fails to control the actual brightness of my laptop
> (Eee PC 1201N) for basically the same reason as here:
> http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=9547

Let me quote from this page:
"Thanks. Unfortuntley xbacklight doesn't work either out of the box.
maybe there would be a similar workaround."

> Would you consider a patch to replace the list in
> backlight_helper_get_best_backlight()
> http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-power-manager/tree/src/xfpm-backlight-helper.c#n384

Yes we could do that if you provide one. However...

> with the same logic as here:
> https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/tree/plugins/power/gsd-backlight-linux.c#n61
>
> i.e. grab the first interface of type "firmware" and fall back on the
> first interface of type "platform" and finally "raw".

This seems to me like just another priority list. Can you tell/guarantee
that this would be better than the current implementation?

Isn't this just replacing the current implementation with another
arbitrary solution using a priority list?

In your special case, how about turning off the interface you don't use
via a kernel parameter?

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'

PGP Key ID: 0xBA3AC516
Fingerprint: 569E 0ADA 440A 8B11 D1A2 AB47 8238 0256 BA3A C516