How do I reset "open with"?

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Fri Oct 2 23:59:17 CEST 2015

On 10/02/2015 03:13 AM, Sébastien wrote:
> le 2015-10-02, ToddAndMargo écrivit:
>> That is a list of all my .desktop's.
>
> Hi Todd
>
> Each of these .desktop files in this location match with the entries you
> see in the "Open with" and "Open with other application" sub-menus, and
> a mimetype list decides which desktop file to to show depending on the
> file type you click on.
>
>> What I am after is when I am in a file manager, right click
>> on a file name, select "open with", how do I get rid of
>> all the stale junk?
>
> I do not know off-hand any way to remove obsolete entries in bulk.
> Maybe the RPM equivalent of purging packages would work, assuming it
> applies on non-installed programs. Or to remove the ones you
> restored and only copy the ones you want. Another way, probably more
> troublesome, might be to install the matching packages and uninstall
> them afterwards. Or to write a script that compares the entries with
> installed packages... or even emptying the directory (move the files
> away), just for testing purposes.
>
> If you're ready to do it "manually" though, it's pretty simple.
>
> I had three copies of the "Wine Internet Explorer" entry shown whenever
> I selected a JPEG file. Deleting the appropriate .desktop files in the
> directory removed the entries in the "Open with" sub-menu.
>
> Hope this helps, or at least clarifies my original reply.

Hi Petter and Sébastien,

One of the worst offenders is "rdf".  It has 16 things assigned to it.
It should only have one.  A few are stale; most are just wrong.

/home/tony/.local/share/applications/find . -exec grep -l rdf {} \; 2>&1
| grep -v "Is a dir"

Showed no .desktop had an "rdf" entry.

Looking a ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, I find
no entry for rdf.

So poop!

-T