xfce4-panel changing icon for showdescktop plugin

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Nov 27 18:34:56 CET 2015

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:07:55 +0100
Sylvain <xfce4 at ledragon.net> wrote:

>Hi Charlie,
>
>On 27/11/2015 17:11, Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>> You can copy the *.desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications . Then
>> you can edit that file as the user and change the icon to anything you
>> want. You can even design your own icon, put it somewhere in home, and
>> tell the file to look there.
>>
>> The applicable line in the file will be:
>>
>> Icon=
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>
>Nope it doesn't work
>
>locate showdesktop.desktop
>/usr/share/xfce4/panel/plugins/showdesktop.desktop
>
>xfce4-panel --version
>kxfce4-panel 4.11.0 (Xfce 4.10)
>
>diff /usr/share/xfce4/panel/plugins/showdesktop.desktop
>~/.local/share/applications/showdesktop.desktop
>115c115
>< Icon=user-desktop
>---
>> Icon=wine
>xfce4-panel -r
>
>No change.
>
>Are you sure it apply also to plugin, for the panel?
>

>Thanks for the suggestion. :)
>

>Does not seem to work, if I edit the system file neither…
>
>Hum may be harcoded, from .deb source:
>
>grep -r "image = xfce_panel_image_new_from_source" .
>./plugins/launcher/launcher.c:          image =
>xfce_panel_image_new_from_source (icon_name);
>./plugins/actions/actions.c:      image =
>xfce_panel_image_new_from_source (entry->icon_name);
>./plugins/actions/actions.c:      image =
>xfce_panel_image_new_from_source (entry->icon_name);
>*./plugins/showdesktop/showdesktop.c:  image =
>xfce_panel_image_new_from_source ("user-desktop");*
>
>I will try to rebuild it and test it.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Sylvain.

I apologize. No, I don't think it works with plugins. I don't know of
any directory where you could that without editing it as root. What
about changing it directly in that file? Not a good solution, and it
may change back with updates, but it might work.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914