window sizing and maximizing wish feature

Lars Behrens Lars.Behrens at kit.edu
Wed Nov 25 09:40:54 CET 2015

Am 24.11.2015 um 17:29 schrieb Thomas Lynch:

> What I am trying to say, is that on a large display, the square button has
> become something to avoid and not hit be accident, less the window explodes
> into something truly huge.

Just click it again to resize back. I don't see the problem.

> In place of the square button at the I would suggest a couple of 'window
> size buttons'.   So for example, perhaps,  I  resize the window and right
> click on the first window size button.  From then on, whenever I left click
> on the button the window goes to that size and position.  Likewise if I
> right click on the second button, then left clicking on that second button
> goes to that size and position.  Perhaps three such buttons instead of just
> two.

What if you change from a huge screen to small one? You would have to
change settings and back again each time you use a different display.

Just a sidenote/hint, are you aware of

 * middleclick/rightclick the maximize button for maximize only
vertical/horizontal?

 * middleclick on titlebar for move window to background

 * rollup/rolldown window feature

 * meta-left drag for move window

 * meta-right drag for resize window

 * each application starts at last window size

in Xfce?

Not what you were asking for, just to make sure you know some important
everyday features as you wrote "After years of being frustrated by
overly fancy window managers" (which might not have had those
possibilities) in your first mail.

Not a bad idea you had there, but nothing that I personally would be
longing for.

Cheerz,
Lars