Do I need xfce4-power-manager (and bluetooth) runnning on a desktop?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Nov 10 19:51:56 CET 2015

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:26:45 +0000, Mark Ballard wrote:
>do I need the power manager running?

It's not only intended for laptops, but also for desktop PCs.
The xfce4-power-manager can be used to e.g. disable and enable screen
blanking, assumed you disabled it before using the manager by X
settings, otherwise xfce4-power-manager can't disable it. OTOH
xfce4-power-manager starts the crappy upowerd and screen blanking can
be enabled and disabled by xscreensaver-command or xset, without taking
care to disabled it before by e.g. xorg.conf, as needed for
xfce4-power-manager. If I use xfce4-power-manager, I need to kill
upowerd, since it needs too much CPU resources.

Long story made short, you don't need to autostart xfce4-power-manager.
It's just Ubuntu's policy to automatically start everything that can
be autostarted. If you install software, you perhaps don't want to
install meta-packages and use the --no-install-recommends option, to
not install software you don't want to install.

I guess "Xubuntu Studio" should read "Xubuntu" or "Ubuntu Studio" (a
flavour based on Xubuntu).

If you decide to install such an Ubuntu flavour you should expect an
user-friendly and not user-centric approach, IOW if you prefer a
tailored Ubuntu, you perhaps should make a minimal install, e.g. using
the server image, without installing the server bundle or anything
else. When I did it, I still needed to remove tons of software and
disable services. It's simply the user-friendly policy, that comes with
advantages and disadvantages.

I'm using both, Arch Linux and Ubuntu. For a tailored install Arch is
the better way to go, but it requires a little bit knowledge, that
isn't needed, when installing Ubuntu flavours.

xfce4-power-manager unlikely is a hard dependency, so you most likely
could purge it.

Regards,
Ralf