Closing terminal window dosn't kill sudo'ed program

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 22 01:20:53 CEST 2015

On Thu, 21 May 2015 20:34:45 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>If I do that, I get _two_ terminal windows.  The one with the app, and
>the one where the "sudo xfce4-terminal" command was executed.  Ugly.

If you didn't terminate the script ps aux | grep testit.sh will always
show that it's still running. You can solve it by running sudo inside
the scrip.

xfce4-terminal -x /path/testit.sh

#!/bin/bash
while sleep 1
do
  sudo date
done

if you run

xfce4-terminal -x sudo /path/testit.sh

#!/bin/bash
while sleep 1
do
  date
done

you need to "close" the terminal by terminating the script with Ctrl+C
instead of just closing the terminal.

>> sudo xfce4-terminal -e ./testit.sh
>
>How is that different from my solution?
>
>    sudo xfce4-terminal -x ./testit.sh

Compatibility with a better terminal emulation ;).

--
It only looks like a tape-recorder. It's actually a pen.
So you can write with it and no one will know.