xfdesktop icon placement problem

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Wed Mar 11 18:57:56 CET 2015

On Tue, 10 Mar 2015, Hartmut Haase wrote:

> Hi Allin,
>> No, if they're stuck under the panel you can't grab them. Besides,
>> Auto-arrange would put them back underneath, and one wants to
>> auto-arrange once in a while.
> I understand. Can you provide a picture of the whole desktop?

Here is it, running my lightly hacked version of xfdesktop 4.10.3
(with an expanded left margin for the icon placement):

http://users.wfu.edu/cottrell/xfdesktop/full-desktop.png

This is exactly how I'd like icons to be placed (and for them to go
like this on auto-arrange). But as I said, I'm finding it more
difficult to get this to work with version 4.12.0 of the desktop.

> Of your placement zone would act properly, it would arrange the icons either
> horizontally (e. g. 4 in a row) or vertically, but you have a mixture.

By default they go by columns, starting a new column when the first
one is full. That suits me fine. (Just to be clear, the two items in
the leftmost "column" of the screen are panels, not desktop icons as
such).

> On my desktop I can place icons everywhere.

So can I, but I want their default placement to work right.

> Have you playsd with the panels by placing them elsewhere?

To a degree, but I don't want them elsewhere!

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics