VTE Failed to load terminal capabilities from /etc/termcap

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 20:10:16 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 12:19:45 +0200
> killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> GTK2 can only use libvte2 (0.28.2), GTK3 can only use libvte3
>> (0.36.3). Since GTK2  doesn't receive any updates anymore, so won't
>> libvte2, so this will not be fixed there.
>
> And considering that xfce4-terminal is gtk2, it means no fix for it. :-(
>
> The workaround mentioned in that Arch forum is not complete solution for
> me 'cause I launch Terminal via i3's shortcut and not from the menu and
> in i3's config there are settings like:
>
> # start a terminal
> #bindsym $mod+Return exec i3-sensible-terminal
> bindsym $mod+Return exec /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal
>
> so having adequate *.desktop file does not help here.
>
> Fortunately, now I'm taking advantage of xfce's session which restores
> xfce-terminal with one tab having TERM set to xterm-256color. :-)

HI guys

Nice to see that it was a good conversation  :)

I found the source code and the way to generate the /etc/termcap
database . This fixed the problem I had

The source code is here :

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/repo/pkgs/termcap/terminfo.src.bz2/a80c9456d1fe810c4f55188e28fc6ff4/terminfo.src.bz2

They way you build is
+bzcat terminfo.src.bz2 > /etc/termcap.src
+tic -C /etc/termcap.src > /etc/termcap

And there you are :)

 I hope this work for someone else how is facing the same problem that I had.

If I am doing something wrong please send me your feedback

Regards

Victor Rodriguez