VTE Failed to load terminal capabilities from /etc/termcap

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Wed Oct 8 13:48:19 CEST 2014

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 12:19:45 +0200
killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:

> GTK2 can only use libvte2 (0.28.2), GTK3 can only use libvte3
> (0.36.3). Since GTK2  doesn't receive any updates anymore, so won't
> libvte2, so this will not be fixed there.

And considering that xfce4-terminal is gtk2, it means no fix for it. :-(

The workaround mentioned in that Arch forum is not complete solution for
me 'cause I launch Terminal via i3's shortcut and not from the menu and
in i3's config there are settings like:

# start a terminal
#bindsym $mod+Return exec i3-sensible-terminal
bindsym $mod+Return exec /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal

so having adequate *.desktop file does not help here.

Fortunately, now I'm taking advantage of xfce's session which restores
xfce-terminal with one tab having TERM set to xterm-256color. :-)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
He is a perfect yogī who, by comparison to his own self,
sees the true equality of all beings, in both their