How to install pakcages for xface desktop

killermoehre at gmx.net killermoehre at gmx.net
Mon Nov 24 08:57:52 CET 2014

24. November 2014 08:39 Uhr, "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> schrieb:
>> Am 24. November 2014 08:04:01 MEZ, schrieb Sainadh J
>> <jsainadh at ymail.com>:
>>> i want to install packages which is suggested here.how to install
>>> what are the installation procedure.please help me.
>>
>> Please, just use the packages provided by your distribution. Oh, and
>> it's called Xfce. There is no "a" in there.
>
> Not for the distro I'm using.

Oh, you misunderstood me. OP wrote "Xface", a common mistake, because the project is called "Xfce". There is no "a" in "Xfce". I always argue with people about this at community events. They tell me than "But Xface is the Face of X!" and my response to this is some changing of there name with an added "a" in there. Always funny.

> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pacman -Si xfce xfce4
> error: package 'xfce' was not found
> error: package 'xfce4' was not found
>
> It provides a group, but it it's named xfce4:
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ sudo pacman -S xfce4
> [sudo] password for rocketmouse:
> :: There are 18 members in group xfce4:
> :: Repository extra
> 1) exo 2) garcon 3) gtk2-xfce-engine 4) gtk3-xfce-engine 5)
> thunar 6) thunar-volman 7) tumbler
> 8) xfce4-appfinder 9) xfce4-mixer 10) xfce4-panel 11)
> xfce4-power-manager 12) xfce4-session
> 13) xfce4-settings 14) xfce4-terminal 15) xfconf 16) xfdesktop
> 17) xfwm4 18) xfwm4-themes
>
> Enter a selection (default=all):

Yeah, arch linux \o/

> IOW the name of the package(s) depends to the used distro and the
> original poster's needs. A few distros e.g. separate header files to
> individual development files. The procedure how to install the packages
> also depends to the used distro, resp. to the package management used
> by the distro.

So what? Even than the package name and/or description always contains the string "xfce", so a
- pacman -Ss xfce
- apt-cache search xfce
- yum search xfce
- zypper search xfce
- emerge -S xfce
will give you something related. You should be able to parse this output. If not, you should read your distributions guideline and help for the package manager. We can't give this help.

> Perhaps the original poster is using BSD and needs to compile from
> ports ;).

I think a BSD user would know how to use the ports system to install Xfce from source ;)

> Regards,
> Ralf

Regards
killermoehre