Display Manager in XFCE

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 18:11:47 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:51 AM, Rob McCathie <korrode at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Victor,

HI Rob

> What does your default configuration file look like? (/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf)

[LightDM]
#start-default-seat=true
#greeter-user=lightdm
#minimum-display-number=0
#minimum-vt=7
#lock-memory=true
#user-authority-in-system-dir=false
#guest-account-script=guest-account
#logind-load-seats=false
#logind-check-graphical=false
#log-directory=/var/log/lightdm
#run-directory=/var/run/lightdm
#cache-directory=/var/cache/lightdm
#sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/sessions:/usr/share/xsessions
#remote-sessions-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/remote-sessions
#greeters-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/greeters:/usr/share/xgreeters

#
# Seat defaults
#
# type = Seat type (xlocal, xremote)
# xdg-seat = Seat name to set pam_systemd XDG_SEAT variable and name
to pass to X server
# pam-service = PAM service to use for login
# pam-autologin-service = PAM service to use for autologin
# pam-greeter-service = PAM service to use for greeters
# xserver-command = X server command to run (can also contain
arguments e.g. X -special-option)
# xserver-layout = Layout to pass to X server
# xserver-config = Config file to pass to X server
# xserver-allow-tcp = True if TCP/IP connections are allowed to this X server
# xserver-share = True if the X server is shared for both greeter and session
# xserver-hostname = Hostname of X server (only for type=xremote)
# xserver-display-number = Display number of X server (only for type=xremote)
# xdmcp-manager = XDMCP manager to connect to (implies xserver-allow-tcp=true)
# xdmcp-port = XDMCP UDP/IP port to communicate on
# xdmcp-key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1
(stored in keys.conf)
# unity-compositor-command = Unity compositor command to run (can also
contain arguments e.g. unity-system-compositor -special-option)
# unity-compositor-timeout = Number of seconds to wait for compositor to start
# greeter-session = Session to load for greeter
# greeter-hide-users = True to hide the user list
# greeter-allow-guest = True if the greeter should show a guest login option
# greeter-show-manual-login = True if the greeter should offer a
manual login option
# greeter-show-remote-login = True if the greeter should offer a
remote login option
# user-session = Session to load for users
# allow-user-switching = True if allowed to switch users
# allow-guest = True if guest login is allowed
# guest-session = Session to load for guests (overrides user-session)
# session-wrapper = Wrapper script to run session with
# greeter-wrapper = Wrapper script to run greeter with
# guest-wrapper = Wrapper script to run guest sessions with
# display-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter session
(runs as root)
# display-stopped-script = Script to run after stopping the display
server (runs as root)
# greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
# session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session
(runs as root)
# session-cleanup-script = Script to run when quitting a user session
(runs as root)
# autologin-guest = True to log in as guest by default
# autologin-user = User to log in with by default (overrides autologin-guest)
# autologin-user-timeout = Number of seconds to wait before loading default user
# autologin-session = Session to load for automatic login (overrides
user-session)
# autologin-in-background = True if autologin session should not be
immediately activated
# exit-on-failure = True if the daemon should exit if this seat fails
#
[SeatDefaults]
#type=xlocal
#xdg-seat=seat0
#pam-service=lightdm
#pam-autologin-service=lightdm-autologin
#pam-greeter-service=lightdm-greeter
#xserver-command=X
#xserver-layout=
#xserver-config=
#xserver-allow-tcp=false
#xserver-share=true
#xserver-hostname=
#xserver-display-number=
#xdmcp-manager=
#xdmcp-port=177
#xdmcp-key=
#unity-compositor-command=unity-system-compositor
#unity-compositor-timeout=60
#greeter-session=example-gtk-gnome
#greeter-hide-users=false
#greeter-allow-guest=true
#greeter-show-manual-login=false
#greeter-show-remote-login=true
#user-session=default
#allow-user-switching=true
#allow-guest=true
#guest-session=
#session-wrapper=lightdm-session
#greeter-wrapper=
#guest-wrapper=
#display-setup-script=
#display-stopped-script=
#greeter-setup-script=
#session-setup-script=
#session-cleanup-script=
#autologin-guest=false
#autologin-user=
#autologin-user-timeout=0
#autologin-in-background=false
#autologin-session=UNIMPLEMENTED
#exit-on-failure=false

#
# Seat configuration
#
# Each seat must start with "Seat:".
# Uses settings from [SeatDefaults], any of these can be overriden by
setting them in this section.
#
#[Seat:0]

#
# XDMCP Server configuration
#
# enabled = True if XDMCP connections should be allowed
# port = UDP/IP port to listen for connections on
# key = Authentication key to use for XDM-AUTHENTICATION-1 or blank to
not use authentication (stored in keys.conf)
#
# The authentication key is a 56 bit DES key specified in hex as
0xnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.  Alternatively
# it can be a word and the first 7 characters are used as the key.
#
[XDMCPServer]
#enabled=false
#port=177
#key=

#
# VNC Server configuration
#
# enabled = True if VNC connections should be allowed
# command = Command to run Xvnc server with
# port = TCP/IP port to listen for connections on
# width = Width of display to use
# height = Height of display to use
# depth = Color depth of display to use
#
[VNCServer]
#enabled=false
#command=Xvnc
#port=5900
#width=1024
#height=768
#depth=8

> If you like, you can set the GTK greeter as the default through
> configure options at compile time. (Though you shouldn't *have* to,
> you should just be able to provide an appropriately set up
> lightdm.conf)

This is the output from my configure:

/configure --disable-static  --enable-liblightdm-gobject
--disable-tests ( not sure for what is this option )

        Greeter session:          default
        Greeter user:             lightdm
        User session:             default
        liblightdm-gobject:       yes
        GObject introspection:    no
        liblightdm-qt:            no
        liblightdm-qt5:           no
        Enable tests:             no

But sure I can change to :

./configure --disable-static --prefix=/tmp/build/
--with-greeter-session=lightdm-default-greeter
--with-greeter-user=lightdm --disable-tests

But the result will be the same :(

       Greeter session:          lightdm-default-greeter
        Greeter user:             lightdm
        User session:             default
        liblightdm-gobject:       yes
        GObject introspection:    no
        liblightdm-qt:            no
        liblightdm-qt5:           no
        Enable tests:             no

> Have a look in the build() function in Arch's PKGBUILD, you can see
> their configure options:
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/lightdm
>
> You may find other useful stuff in the Arch package source, rules
> files and such:
> https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk?h=packages/lightdm
>
> Hope this helps.

I will check that , thanks a lot for the help

Really appreciated

Victor Rodriguez