xfce4-indicator-plugin - how to prevent things appearing there

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Thu May 29 09:44:11 CEST 2014

Am 28.05.2014 22:22, schrieb Chris Green:
> Is there any way to stop something displaying an icon in the indicator
> plugin?  I use Thunderbird *only* for its address book but it insists
> on putting an 'envelope' in the indicator plugin that I don't want.
>
> As a more general question what does the indicator plugin offer that
> applications can't do directly by putting an icon in the panel?  As it
> is it seems to just complicate things because some programs put their
> icon in the panel directly whereas others go via the indicator plugin.

Ask canonical what special features the indicator plugin offers (or read
here [0]). The idea behind this is not bad, but many applications are
not ported already, which is the main problem. If everyone would use
either the tray or the inidcator everything would be fine.

Regards

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationIndicators