"failed to suspend session"

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Mar 15 10:18:50 CET 2014

On Thu 2014-03-13 (16:47), Greg Folkert wrote:

> > I am running xfce with xubuntu 12.04 on a Thinkpad T61 with xdm.
> >
> > When I select "suspend" from the user/logout menu I get:
> > "failed to suspend session" "not authorized"
> >
> > In the Power Manger menu on "When laptop lid is closed" I can only choose
> > "nothing" or "Lock screen", there is no "suspend" or "hibernate".
> >
> > Any ideas, what is wrong?
>
> Stop using XDM, I don't believe it is freedesktop compliant.

Ok, I switched back to lightdm and the suspend menu works again.
Thanks for this hint!
But why is it a problem of the display manager?
It should only start xfce like startx, that's all. Why does it prevent
suspend/hibernate?

> I'm betting that is it.

You won :-)

hibernate was not working at all, too. But this was a xubuntu bug.
Here is the solution:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754/how-to-enable-hibernation

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Informationssysteme und Serverbetrieb
Rechenzentrum IZUS/TIK         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Universitaet Stuttgart         Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
Allmandring 30a                Fax:    ++49-711-682357
70550 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<1394743644.5652.8.camel at omg.gregfolkert.net>