"failed to suspend session"

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Mar 13 21:47:24 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-11 at 09:57 +0100, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> I am running xfce with xubuntu 12.04 on a Thinkpad T61 with xdm.
>
> When I select "suspend" from the user/logout menu I get:
> "failed to suspend session" "not authorized"
>
> In the Power Manger menu on "When laptop lid is closed" I can only choose
> "nothing" or "Lock screen", there is no "suspend" or "hibernate".
>
> Any ideas, what is wrong?

Stop using XDM, I don't believe it is freedesktop compliant.

I begrudgingly use GDM3, I'd be surprised with XDM that any freedesktop
services would work.

I know that if I use XDM and Network Manager I cannot manage *ANY*
interfaces (WiFi, wired, VPN... others). Suspend doesn't work and
neither does hibernate. Also, the power manager seems to choke and doing
its job.

Now switching to GDM3 or other freedesktop compliant Display managers...
everything works.

I'm betting that is it.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"You must be in tune with the times and prepared to break with
tradition."
    -- James Agee