how to have the automatic select and copy behavior in mousepad?

Auguste Pop auguste at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 17:46:02 CET 2014

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:51 PM, RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 21:13:20 +0800
> Auguste Pop wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
>> <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:

>> > Make sure you have third-button emulation, if not add a stanza:
>
>> The problem is I have select-and-copy behavior working on all other
>> applications. Middle click paste is working too inside mousepad.
>>
>> It's just selecting text in mousepad does not copy the text.
>>
>> Can this be a middle button emulation problem?
>
> Middle button emulation is a simultaneous press of the left and
> right buttons to emulate a centre button. These days almost all mice
> have a centre button on  the scroll wheel, but even if yours doesn't
> it's unlikely to be the cause of your problem if you can make
> centre-click pasting work in other contexts.
>
> One difference with this form of pasting is that there is no actual
> copy to a clipboard before the paste. I've been playing around with it
> on FreeBSD and it seems that it does work in some cases, but the
> selected text very easily looses highlighting on the click.

You are right. I tested it again and found out that mousepad actually
copies text when selected. Middle click elsewhere do did the paste
right. However, copy paste in this fashion inside mousepad failed.
Seems whenever I left click inside mousepad when some text is
selected, the clipboard is emptied. To reproduce this, we can do as
the following

1. have random text selected inside mousepad
2. left click inside mousepad to choose the place to insert the copied text
3. middle click

nothing happens after this. However, if we do the following procedure

1. open two instances of mousepad
2. select some text in instance 1.
3. left click inside instance 2 to choose the paste position
4. middle click inside instance 2

the text selected in instance 1 is actually copy-pasted into instance 2.

I think this is a bug. Mousepad seems unable to copy-paste inside one
document window.