how to have the automatic select and copy behavior in mousepad?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:51:49 CET 2014

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 21:13:20 +0800
Auguste Pop wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:54 PM, Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
> <renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 20:18:18 +0800
> > Auguste Pop <auguste at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> seems quite odd that i have to right click and click copy and right
> >> click somewhere else and click paste instead of just selecting the
> >> text and middle click somewhere else.
> >> is this option hidden somewhere or it is just missing in mousepad?
> >
> > Make sure you have third-button emulation, if not add a stanza:

> The problem is I have select-and-copy behavior working on all other
> applications. Middle click paste is working too inside mousepad.
>
> It's just selecting text in mousepad does not copy the text.
>
> Can this be a middle button emulation problem?

Middle button emulation is a simultaneous press of the left and
right buttons to emulate a centre button. These days almost all mice
have a centre button on  the scroll wheel, but even if yours doesn't
it's unlikely to be the cause of your problem if you can make
centre-click pasting work in other contexts.

One difference with this form of pasting is that there is no actual
copy to a clipboard before the paste. I've been playing around with it
on FreeBSD and it seems that it does work in some cases, but the
selected text very easily looses highlighting on the click.